ON CHILDREN BEING COMPETITIVE?
August 27 2015
“Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
“Let’s see who finishes first” is something most of the parents tell to make their children eat food while they are young and we know it works. While one school of thought with reference to competition believe that children ought to compete and parents should push them towards competition since the world is turning literally to a battlefield day by day while the other is of the view that competition is wrong and children should not be made to compete. Whatever viewpoint one may subscribe to, it is inevitable that our children may have to compete at some stage or other in their home, school or play environments. It is best to be prepared and to prepare them to face it in a positive manner.
Child psychologists say that competition is, in itself, not good or bad but it may have consequences that can be positive or negative.
For example follow are few pros and cos of competition.
- Competition helps them sharpen their skills and get better by practice.
- Competition helps children deal with wins and losses better.
- Children learn to follow rules, work in teams.
- Competition could sometimes cause a child emotional trauma or make them aggressive if they can’t handle them
- Competition could lower down the self-confidence of a child if they are pushed to win.
So Experts say that
- Below 8 Years, Competition it is still just fun and games to them.
- Between 9-12 Years child may enjoy competitive games and activities.
- 13 Years and above. Better Tell them “Win or lose, give it your very best shot”
Science Olympiad Foundation has been striving for to promote scientific attitude through innovative activities and use of IT in learning process that involve school students across the country. One of the main objective for them is to Infuse a healthy competitive spirit through reward based Contests/Olympiads. They help identifying young geniuses and providing them with a unique competitive platform where they can prove themselves.
Check out test preparation CD based programs for Test Preparation for CBSE/ICSE curriculum as well as Olympiad competitive exams for Science/Maths/English/Cyber Olympiads at http://www.eduawake.com/competitive-exams . Shop online at www.eduawake.com that make all educational purchases easy and avail existing reward points and discounts.